The community of Wilsonville was named for Elisha Wilson, an early settler. Incorporated in 1897, G.W. McGowan was the first mayor and Sam Thomas was the first marshal. The original town limits were a circle with a two and one-half mile radius. The Railroad Depot building was the first Depot site in Shelby County. The E C. Gaston Steam Plant completed in 1929, was one of the first four Alabama Hydro-Electric Power Plants constructed on Alabama Rivers.
Currently the town is poised for residential growth due to a new wastewater treatment plant currently under construction along the Coosa River in Wilsonville that will serve citizens and spur growth for years to come.
Wilsonville is served by The Shelby County Chamber.