View all facilitiesGo to Calendar
Parnell Memorial Library
|Other Link||Visit Website|
The Montevallo Public Library was founded in March of 1958 under the leadership of the City of Montevallo and the Montevallo Branch of the American Association of University Women. The library began modestly as a collection of several hundred books in a small room at City Hall.
Today the Parnell Memorial Library is a new 12,400 square foot facility opened on February 25, 2007. The library serves as the community’s cultural center and consists of a collection of approximately 17,516 books and periodicals, 511 CDs, Audio Books, and cassettes, as well as 1,149 video items, such as DVDs and VHS tapes. Internet terminals are available for use by the public. Recently wireless internet access was added as a new free service.
The new building has space for expanded reference resources, including the Parnell Collection of military and Southern history materials in the Parnell Room. In addition there is a multipurpose meeting room for up to 75 adults or 125 children, Southern Writers Room, an area for study and tutoring (4-6 people), an art gallery containing works by regional artists and rotating exhibits of children's art and a community theater/auditorium with raked fixed seating for 140.
It is the mission of the Parnell Memorial Library to serve the citizens of Montevallo by offering services, resources and facilities to fulfill their informational, educational, cultural, and recreational needs and interests. The term “citizens” encompasses individuals and groups of every age, education, philosophy, economic level, ethnic origin and human condition.