- License Offices - Main
- Shelby County License Offices
- Drivers License & ID Renewals & Replacements
Drivers License & ID Renewals & Replacements
NOTE: If the vehicle owner has a name change, the name must be updated on the driver’s license/ID AND the vehicle title. Updating your driver’s license does not change the name on your vehicle title. The title must be presented to the licensing official to update the name.
Renewing or Replacing Your ID
Your Alabama driver’s license must be renewed every four years. You may renew your license within 6 months of the expiration date of your current license. Standard renewals, replacement license, or name and address changes to existing license may be processed at any location within the state where renewals are processed.
Note: If you wish to make a change to your driver’s license it will require an $31.25 duplication fee unless processed at the time of renewal.
If you do not need to make any changes to your drivers license you may be eligible to renew online.
All documents must be originals (no copies). If your license or state-issued ID becomes lost, destroyed, illegible, or there is a name or address change, you can obtain a duplicate at any Shelby County license office. You will be required to furnish acceptable identification (no photo copies) in the form of two or more of the following documents for license or IDs that are lost, destroyed, or illegible:
For Name Changes
You must have both:
- Current license
- Social Security Card - Must be updated to reflect name change (required)
and one of the following:
- Marriage License
- Divorce Papers (must state you can claim your maiden name)
- Adoption papers
- Court Order for name change
Note: Photocopy and fax copies are not acceptable
Accepted Methods of Payment
- Checks drawn on an Alabama state bank with current Alabama photo ID or driver’s license made payable to: License Office
- MasterCard or Visa (credit or debt)