What Is The Shelby County Planning Commission?
The seven-member Shelby County Planning Commission is charged with developing and administering plans for the long range development of Shelby County, while striving to maintain and enhance the quality of life of the residents and visitors.
The creation of the Shelby County Planning Commission and its authority is provided for by Act Number 82-693 as amended of the Legislature of Alabama, which was approved July 2, 1982.
Requests Considered at Planning Commission Meetings
Meetings are normally held at 6:00 p.m. in the Community Room, on the second floor of the Shelby County Services Building in Pelham on the first and third Mondays of each month. The following meeting dates and submission deadlines for the 2020 regularly scheduled meetings of the Shelby County Planning Commission were approved by the Commission on November 4, 2019. These dates may be subject to cancellation when no case is scheduled to be heard on the agenda.
Besides preparation and consideration of long-range plans for the county, the types of requests typically considered at regular meetings of the commission include:
- Rezoning requests which change the permitted use and development standards of a particular parcel of property
- Conditional Use requests which require specific commission approval for a specific use of property under conditions to be stipulated by the commission
- Variance requests where an applicant contends that the development standards for a particular parcel of property are too rigid
- Subdivision requests which include the development of new streets, house sites, etc.
- View Live Stream of Planning Commission Meeting
- Cases/Staff Reports
- Z20-002 Arlington Hwy 280 Rezoning from B-2 to R-5; Request to be Removed from the Table (Tabled on July 20, 2020)
- Z20-006 Keeton Rezoning from E-1 to E-2
- Z20-007 Royal Investment Group Rezoning from O-I (2) to B-1
- SN20-017 Silver Oaks Rural Subdivision
- SN20-018 The Village at Highland Lakes Phase 4, 6th Sector Preliminary Plat
- Bill Kinnebrew Jr., Chairman
- Jay Gunther, P.E., Vice-Chairman
- Jim Davis
- Michael O’Kelley
- Kenneth F. Wilder
- Joseph Little
- Samuetta Nesbitt