Permits and Inspections

What Do I Need To Bring With Me When I Apply?

  • Building Permit Application
  • Application fee of $100 (make checks payable to Shelby County Commission)
  • Sewer / Septic Tank Authorization Form from the Shelby County Health Department or paid impact fee letter if on sewer (not applicable if self-contained RV)
    • Shelby County Health Department: (205) 685-4178
    • SouthWest Water Company: (205) 987-8352
    • Hoover Sewer: (205) 444-7523
    • Birmingham Sewer: (205) 254-0500
    • Enviro-Systems: (205) 437-3779
  • Zoning approval - If you are in the city limits of the following, you must obtain zoning approval from their office prior to applying for permit with us.
  • Directions and physical address for property - Contact the 911 Business Office at (205) 439-6911.
  • Plot plan indicating location of structure on property, setbacks to obtain zoning approval, and erosion control layout showing silt fencing, hay bales, etc.
  • If Manufactured Home or RV
    • Year, make, serial number, size, color, purchase information, Shelby County master certified electrician, state electrical contractor, or the resident may take a homeowners exam administered by our office between the hours of 9:00 am and 3:00 pm Monday through Friday (open book / no fee). Manufactured Home Packet
  • Plans